Driving License in UAE
Driving licences can be obtained by adult UAE citizens/residents after training from an authorised driving school. If you are 18-21 year of age, you can apply for a probationary licence.If you have never driven before or had a driving licence that is not on the approved list of 36 countries then you must undergo training.
- Original and copy of Passport with residence stamp & valid visa
- No Objection Certificate from employer
- 8 photographs
- Eye Test
2. The school will handle all paperwork with RTA who may even have a counter at the school.
3. Receive your temporary driving licence, which you must carry in your training car.
4. Once you have passed all internal tests like garage and parking, your school will apply for your theory test followed by your road test
Belhasa Driving School – 04-3243535 (18 branches)
Dubai Driving Center– 04-3455855 (13 branches)
Emirates Driving Institute-04-2631100 (53 branches/Mall counters)
Galadari Driving School-04-2676166 (14 branches)
- Students who do not possess any driving license are considered as a “Beginner” and thus have to register for mandatory 40 classes.
- Students possessing their country’s license which is 2 – 5 years old are eligible to take 30 classes.
- Students possessing their country’s license which is more than 5 years old are eligible to take 20 classes.
- Please note there is a pre- evaluation test (AED 100) for 30 and 20 classes registered students to assess their driving experience. The result of the pre-evaluation test is given to the instructor.
- Refresher Course – Students holding valid UAE license can apply for this course if they need extra confidence & practice. It includes 8 practical training classes.
- Simulator Training – All students registered for LMV 40 Classes will be attending 2 classes of Simulator (One Hour duration) prior to starting their training classes.
- Solo Training- This is mandatory for 40 classes LMV course and is optional for 30 & 20 classes course.
- Students can opt to register for either Automatic or Manual gear transmission. However, please note that Automatic license holders are not eligible to drive a Manual Gear Vehicle.
- People who possess a valid GCC License have to take 2 lectures at the beginning of the course then give the knowledge test and the road test directly. If they fail in the Road test, they need to then enrol for 8 classes and again for a road test.
- Pilots and Cabin Crews of only ‘Emirates Airlines’ with their valid country license can go directly for Theory Test & Parking Test. After clearing these tests, they can go for the Road test. For those who do not have any own country, the license will register for 40 classes.
- Pilots & Cabin crews of other Airlines will register as regular students for 40/30/20 classes as mentioned in top three points above.
- People having nationality and driving license for the listed 36 countries can directly transfer their licenses by walking into any RTA Office with the necessary documentation and fee.
- People who have a valid UAE Driving license from any emirate other than Dubai needs to get their driving file transferred from original emirate to Dubai RTA before opening a file in Dubai for any other vehicle category.
- People who have any traffic fine on their name will not be able to open a file until they clear that fine.
- Light Motor Vehicle criteria – LMV Weight should not be more than 2.5 tonne or any salon car.